Wadebridge and District Museum originally opened in 2007 and attracted some 2000 visitors before its premises were closed in 2010 for redevelopment of the site.

During the time that the Museum was homeless, we held occasional temporary exhibits.

We re-opened on 28th September 2013, having 
been given space in Trebur House, a new development in Wadebridge on the corner of Cross Street and Chapel Lane.  Opening hours are 11 am to 3 pm, Monday to Saturday.

Why does Wadebridge need a museum?

The town has undergone many changes in recent years and has greatly increased in size so it is important to record these developments, noting what has disappeared forever.

A museum can, indeed should be, a means of providing education. It must be able to stimulate in children and young people an interest and understanding of their town and the surrounding area.

Wadebridge has always been a vibrant and busy town. It was once a port with schooners sailing up the Camel Estuary to discharge and reload their cargoes.  Sand barges slowly made their way up to Clapper, Egloshayle with sand which would then be taken by horse and cart to the neighbouring farms.

The coming of the railways – Wadebridge being the second oldest line in the country, opening in 1834 while Liverpool and Manchester began in 1830 - brought new opportunities for employment and travel.

Much later, the closure of the railways and the cattle market with the reduction of their supporting industries meant loss of jobs which made the town more dependent on tourism.

Many people are keen to learn more about their forbears and the world they inhabited. A museum which also included facilities for local history study would be invaluable and would also be another reason to bring people into our town. School children would also find such a local resource most useful when doing local history projects. Since the museum would be manned, for the most part, by local people the children would be able to learn much about life in the town which is not recorded in books by asking the staff questions.  

Can you help us?

Do you have anything that could go in the Museum: objects, pictures, documents, etc, connected with the Wadebridge area?

If so, please drop in to talk to us or contact us by phone or e-mail.

We have thousands of images of Wadebridge
  • People

    A couple of old Wadebridge characters

  • Places

    The bridge before it was widened in 1963

New Museum
Members of the Museum committee receiving the keys to the new Museum from Trebur House developer Philip Mutton.